Friday, March 4, 2011

Your 2011 Mets - Part 3 – JOSE! JOSE! JOSE! JOSE! JOSE! JOSE!

I was driving to work this morning and I finally came up with the words to describe Jose Reyes. Close your eyes.  Image what it sounded like at Shea Stadium or sounds like at Citi Field when Jose Reyes makes the turn around second base racing towards third.  Doesn’t that sound the same as a young Dwight Gooden rearing back and hurling a fastball in when he had two strikes on a batter? Yeah it does.


This is going to be a big year for the most talented player EVER to come through our farm system. I’m not going the best since Darryl route. I’m saying most talented ever to wear the uniform. He is fast on the base paths, he has great range, he has a canon arm, the fans love him and he loves to play the game.  I’ll admit it I like Jose Reyes a little bit.

I like Jose like I like Keith Hernandez, Mike Piazza and Edgardo Alfonzo.

With his contract up at the end of the season, and the current sorry state of the Mets now make me worry what uniform Jose will be wearing Opening Day 2012. I worry what uniform he will be wearing by the time when the Happy Recap has their annual outing n August.  But economics aside the Mets need to keep Jose in Flushing.

Here are some Myths and facts about Jose Reyes

He is injury prone – MYTH  - Last year Jose played in 133 games. He lost a bunch of games early in the season because he was sick.  2009 was an anomaly he (like virtually every other Met) caught the injury bug. But 2005-2008 he played a minimum of 150 games.

Citi Field was built for him – FACT – come on look at those gaps. Look how far back those walls are. You watch games and he hits a liner between the centerfielder and right fielder and I say Triple. Seriously that place wasn’t built to hit homers.

He got lazy after he signed his first big contract- MYTH – He was awesome during the summer of 2006. He finished 7th in MVP voting, won a Silver slugger, was an All Star and led the team to a division title.  He nearly led the team to another division title in 2008.



So enjoy Jose while we still have him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment